Slow Cooker Spiced Poached Pears
Some of the many reasons I love this dessert recipe are: it's on the healthy side; it's easy to make; the recipe can be mostly prepared in advance of company arriving; and the presentation is lovely.—Jill Mant, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or cranberry juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 dried Sichuan peppercorn, optional
- 4 ripe Bosc pears
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Fresh blackberries
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, mix wine, brown sugar, cherries, cinnamon, star anise and, if desired, peppercorn until blended. Peel and cut pears lengthwise in half. Remove cores, leaving a small well in the center of each. Arrange pears in wine mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until pears are almost tender. Discard star anise and peppercorn.
- Place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- To serve, remove pears to dessert dishes; drizzle with some of the poaching liquid. Spoon ganache into wells of pears. Top with pine nuts and blackberries. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without whipped cream and blackberries): 295 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 8mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Pears Poached in Zinfandel, Anise, Cinnamon & Chili in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2014