Slow-Cooker Pear Butter
This is a tasty spread for toast, muffins, biscuits or any of your favorite breads. It is easy to make and has a rich pear flavor with hints of cinnamon, star anise and lemon. —Geraldine Saucier, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 4-5 star anise points (about 1/2 whole)
- 5 pounds pears, peeled and chopped (about 12 cups)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Place spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose spices; tie securely with string. In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, toss remaining ingredients. Add spice bag, covering with pears.
- Cook, covered, on low until pears are tender, 5-6 hours. Remove spice bag.
- Puree pear mixture using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree mixture in a blender in batches; return to slow cooker.
- Cook, uncovered, on high until mixture is thickened to desired consistency, 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. Store cooled pear butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pear butter in freezer containers up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator.
Test Kitchen Tips