Slow-Cooker Thai Butternut Squash Peanut Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes8 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro and chopped salted peanuts, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until squash is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender. Return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, garnish with cilantro and peanuts.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 181 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 10, 2019
I loved the flavors of this and with the peanut butter it was a bit more satisfying than I find most pureed vegetable soups. I followed the recipe very closely except I used creamy peanut butter. That may have been why I needed to add a little more a little more squash to make it just a touch thicker. After the first taste, I immediately made another batch to make sure I had enough for lunch everyday and some to share. This one will be a regular go-to.