Slow-Cooker Thai Butternut Squash Peanut Soup
This seemingly exotic dish is simple, vegan, healthy and hearty. The peanut butter blends beautifully with the sweetness of the squash and Thai seasonings. You can also serve this soup without pureeing it first. —Kayla Capper, Ojai, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes8 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro and chopped salted peanuts, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until squash is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender. Return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, garnish with cilantro and peanuts.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 181 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Slow-Cooker Thai Butternut Squash Peanut Soup in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.