Total TimePrep: 2 hours Process: 10 min.
- 16 cups peeled, sliced fresh pears (about 16 medium)
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a stockpot, combine pears, sugar, water and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Remove from heat. Ladle hot mixture into seven hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 79 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Sep 20, 2016
I'm the first reviewer of such a fantastic recipe?! I halved this recipe to try it out, and wish I made the full batch. This is delicious way to use up an abundance of pears that always seem to ripen at the same time. I must have used a different variety of pear than that in the photo by Taste Of Home, as mine held a nice yellowy shade even after processing. I'll keep this recipe handy for the future.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.