Fresh Pear Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups finely chopped peeled ripe pears (about 4 medium)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into the egg mixture just until moistened. Toss pears with lemon juice. Stir pears and walnuts into batter (batter will be thick).
- Spoon into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 168 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 17, 2018
Thank you, thank you for this absolutely fabulous recipe! I didn't use nuts due to allergies but I used coconut oil and it was just so delicious that my whole family couldn't get enough of it. This will be a new favorite treat for sure.
Nov 15, 2018
With a pear tree in my backyard, I am always looking for new pear recipes. My daughter leaves early to teach at BYU so she loved having me leave a sliced piece of this bread each morning to eat on her way there. She loved it. I put foil sprayed with oil in the loaf pan before adding batter. Then when it was baked, after a few minutes, I just lifted out the bread and put on a rack to cool. It was easy to carefully peel off the foil when it was ready.
Oct 23, 2017
I converted the sugar to honey and used softened butter rather than oil. A delicate and tasty quick bread.
Oct 15, 2017
It made 3 loaves, baked for around 35 min. I used canned pears, but next time I would use fresh. I made one loaf with walnuts and the other two without. It tastes better with the walnuts.
Jan 1, 2017
This recipe turns out loaves of moist and delicious bread! Thank you!
Sep 8, 2016
I've used this recipe several years. You can also bake it in four mini-loaf pans for 30-40 minutes.
Aug 24, 2016
Excellent! Rave reviews from family, as good or better than their favorite banana bread. Freezes and keeps well. Nice to have on hand to give to a neighbor or friend.
Jan 2, 2016
Substituted unsweetened applesauce for the vegetable oil to reduce the fat calories. Recipe creates a moist, flavorful, attractive nibble. Thank you.
Oct 22, 2015
Always a winner as written!. My paper copy from 1999 magazine is tattered and torn. In an dire emergency canned pears worked too.
Oct 3, 2015
Excellent bread, moist and sweet. Don't cut it until it is completely cool or you'll have to eat it with a fork.