Fresh Pear Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups finely chopped peeled ripe pears (about 4 medium)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into the egg mixture just until moistened. Toss pears with lemon juice. Stir pears and walnuts into batter (batter will be thick).
- Spoon into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 168 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 23, 2017
I converted the sugar to honey and used softened butter rather than oil. A delicate and tasty quick bread.
Oct 15, 2017
It made 3 loaves, baked for around 35 min. I used canned pears, but next time I would use fresh. I made one loaf with walnuts and the other two without. It tastes better with the walnuts.
Jan 1, 2017
This recipe turns out loaves of moist and delicious bread! Thank you!
Sep 8, 2016
I've used this recipe several years. You can also bake it in four mini-loaf pans for 30-40 minutes.
Aug 24, 2016
Excellent! Rave reviews from family, as good or better than their favorite banana bread. Freezes and keeps well. Nice to have on hand to give to a neighbor or friend.
Jan 2, 2016
Substituted unsweetened applesauce for the vegetable oil to reduce the fat calories. Recipe creates a moist, flavorful, attractive nibble. Thank you.
Oct 22, 2015
Always a winner as written!. My paper copy from 1999 magazine is tattered and torn. In an dire emergency canned pears worked too.
Oct 3, 2015
Excellent bread, moist and sweet. Don't cut it until it is completely cool or you'll have to eat it with a fork.
Sep 30, 2015
We have 2 pear trees that produce an abundance of fruit. Most of the pears get canned, but I like to set aside pears for pies and breads and cakes. My husband declared this moist and tasty. He ate one loaf and I froze the other loaf.
Jan 18, 2015
I found this recipe when I had an abundance of pears from my parents tree. I just wish I had come across years ago. I made six small loaves with this recipe. Everyone loves it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.