Slow-Cooked Gingered Pears
My slow cooker allows me to serve a heartwarming dessert without much effort. Topped with caramel sauce, these tender pears feature a surprise filling of nuts and brown sugar.—Catherine Mueller, St. Paul, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 6 medium Bartlett or D'Anjou pears
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream and caramel ice cream topping, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger, brown sugar, pecans and lemon peel. Using a melon baller or long-handled spoon, core pears to within 1/4 in. of bottom. Spoon ginger mixture into the center of each.
- Place pears upright in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top each with butter. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until tender. Serve with ice cream and caramel topping if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 263 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 6g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Elegant Baked Pears in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.