Slow Cooker Spiced Fruit
My aunt who lived in Hawaii gave me this cherished recipe. She would prepare a traditional tropical meal for us whenever we visited, and this fruity side was always included. I always think of her when I make it, whether it’s for the holidays or an everyday meal. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced pears, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) apricot halves, drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup white wine or white grape juice
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Place cloves and cinnamon sticks on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Place bag in slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, curry powder and wine; pour over fruit.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until heated through. Discard spice bag; sprinkle with almonds. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Editor's Note: To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Fruit Medley in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.