Slow Cooker Tamale Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream and additional minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cumin, salt, chili powder and pepper.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onions and cilantro. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over meat mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream and additional cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 392 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1149mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 7, 2017
This was so delicious! A genuine delight. Loved by all!
Mar 24, 2016
I am not a big fan of corn bread but this recipe was a big hit for me. Thank you for sharing.
Jan 14, 2016
Really good and easy to change/add to based on preferences
Oct 17, 2015
This is awesome and easy to make in the crockpot. My adult kids love it and never any leftovers. The best recipe ever
Sep 19, 2014
I made this on the stovetop and then baked it in the oven. This is a very good recipe. Followed the recipe but added my own touches, added a small can of sliced olives, chopped green bellpepper, and used my own cornbread recipe. Brown & drained liquid from meat well, then added ingredients boil & simmer since I dont like too much liquid I reduced it by by later cooking with the lid off, then I poured it into a 9" pan, poured batter ontop and baked it as if I were baking my cornbread recipe. It was delicious. I like how the cheese melts and looked on the bread it went well with the whole dish. Hubby loved it. I had extra fillings which I had put away & used it on another day to make a tortilla roll just add monteray jack.
Aug 30, 2014
We are retired so we found this to be much easier when not done in a crockpot, but on the stovetop and oven. I use frozen corn and make a batch of scratch cornbread. I also leave out the cilantro. I can make this often and on short notice since I usually have all the ingredients. I just brown the meat, add all the rest except for the cornbread mix, and bring it to a boil on the stove. I then pour the cornbread on top and cook in the oven for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
Jul 6, 2014
I doubled the spices for our tastes and it was perfect. Slow Cooker Tamale Pie is now my all-time favorite crockpot receipe!
Apr 28, 2014
We found this dish good, but not outstanding. It seems the beef was missing something so perhaps we'd like it kicked up a notch and I'll make it spicier the next time. The sour cream and cornbread mixture was really good w/ the entire dish.
Mar 23, 2014
Whoa, this is really good! I did add one chopped green pepper and a small can of sliced black olives for a little extra interest. After mixing everything together, I tasted it and thought it might be a little tame for our tastes (we like things pretty spicy), so I doubled the chili powder and added some crushed red pepper flakes and garlic powder. This is definitely a keeper, and you can easily spice it up or down depending on what your family likes.
Mar 5, 2014
really good and easy.