Easy Tamale Pie
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- Dash paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the beef, sausage, onion and garlic in a 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, stirring once to crumble meat. Drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, tomato paste, olives, chili powder and salt; mix well. Cover and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Whisk egg in a large bowl; add milk and cornbread mix. Stir just until moistened. Spoon over meat mixture; sprinkle with paprika.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Sprinkle with cheese.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 305 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 4, 2017
This is a fantastic quick Tamale Pie recipe. The only change I made was adding sorranoe peppers to the beef mixture. Just because we like our food a bit spicy. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Dec 14, 2015
Needed a quick dinner for when my grown daughter & her boyfriend were stopping by.....this was perfect! Easy & delicious, all items I keep on hand....great dish!
Aug 4, 2011
My family has loved this recipe for many years. We skip the sausage and use 1.5# of ground beef which we brown on the stovetop, then we add the cornbread mixture and bake it in the oven. We like the texture more this way.
Jun 9, 2010
I add one small can of drained chopped green chilies. This recipe is a yummy standby for my family's dinner.