Tamale Veggie Pie
This warm and comforting “pie” has a thick and zippy filling and a moist, tender cornbread topping. It's an overall hearty dish for the season. Serve this with a side salad and some fruit for a great meatless meal. —Deb Perry, Bluffton, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl. Drain tomatoes, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; add tomatoes and juice to onion mixture.
- Stir in the beans, cheese, chiles, jalapeno, cumin and chili powder. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together the egg, yogurt and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon over filling; gently spread to cover top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 280 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 746mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Tamale Veggie Pie in Light & Tasty December/January 2007
Jul 13, 2012
We LOVE this dish! In fact, I have to double it into a 9x13 pan now because even my pickiest eaters eat it! It is easy to make and oh-so-flavorful. Don't hold back on that jalapeno, though! It's what makes it great!