Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 cups (12 ounces each) shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese or Colby-Jack cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Add tomatoes, onion and spices. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Arrange five tortillas in the bottom of a 13x9-in. baking dish, tearing tortillas as needed. Cover with half of the meat mixture, then half of the cheese. Repeat layers, using remaining tortillas, meat mixture and cheese. Sprinkle with olives.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 428 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 829mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 21, 2010
Leaving out the 1//4 tsp salt reduces the sodium content to 254 mg sodium. A big difference. I will try this using corn tortillas.lag
Dec 20, 2010
So simple, but oh so yummy! Add some quac if possible.
Dec 13, 2010
My family loved this! It's misnamed, being nothing like a tamale, but I prefer this. I used the frozen tortillas you bake at home, which taste way better than pre-made tortillas. Everyone said they definitely want this again, but would prefer the olives be left out. Added to my recipe box!