Hot Tamale Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring the water, salt and cayenne to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the beans, enchilada sauce, chilies, olives, chili powder and cilantro; heat through.
- Spread polenta into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with meat mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 2-5 minutes or until filling is bubbly and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 369 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 837mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 32g protein.
Jul 2, 2017
This casserole comes together nicely here and the taste is great!! We will fix this again!!
Sep 14, 2011
I think the trick to this is to really make sure the polenta is cooked before putting it in the 8X8 dish. There needs to be a film around the polenta and it needs to be so cooked that you can basically scoop it out as one solid mass. I also add some crushed red peppers, which makes it a little spicier. All-in-all this is a fabulous dish that I've made several times!
May 21, 2011
We thought this was really good! The only thing was that it made a lot for just a small 8x8 pan. But it still tasted great! I would definitely make it again. Perfect amount of flavor.
Mar 30, 2011
This was a good tasting recipe, but nothing that was anything special. Would rather make the real thing than the casserole.
Dec 18, 2010
Too much effort for the result. Bland, soupy, and the polenta was flavorless. My son like it.
Aug 25, 2010
For a casserole, this sure took a lot of work and ingredients! My husband swore he liked it okay, but I thought it was dull and nothing special for all the prep work. The cornmeal polenta was tasteless and this just didn't have the spice or heat I would expect from a Mexican dish.
Apr 27, 2010
I would not make this a written again. There is too much meat and it would not fit into the 8x8 pan - I ended up using a 2 quart casserole dish. The polenta did not firm up when baked. I would probably only use 1/2 pound of meat so the other flavors would stand out more.
Feb 14, 2010
This recipe was great. I used ground turkey, and it was STILL wonderful. I'm eating the leftovers as I sit in front of the computer.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.