Hot Dog Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 5 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer with a third of the potatoes, half of the hot dogs and half of the onion. Repeat layers. Top with remaining potatoes. Pour white sauce over all.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 334 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 975mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Jun 1, 2019
It was okay. Not my favorite by a long shot.
Dec 18, 2018
I made this for dinner tonight, the family loved it. I added 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese to the cream sauce and thyme. I also carmelized the onions first, just to add a little depth of flavor. Great way to use up all those hot dogs I bought on sale!
Mar 23, 2018
Since I was running behind, I actually partially cooked the potatoes before assembling. I'm thinking leftover ham would be great instead of the hot dogs. Family said that this would be good for meal rotation. Win/win.
Apr 25, 2017
I used little cocktail sausages instead. I also precooked the potatoes on the stove and used a little garlic salt. The oven time was shorter because of the potatoes precooked. My 3 picky eaters and myself loved it!
Oct 2, 2016
Wouldn't even give this 1 star, if I could help it. This was just BLAH! Even after adding extra pepper and garlic salt. I even did the onions in the butter like others suggested, and added some cheese into the sauce, and also on top later. Still BLAH! Word of caution: Line some aluminum foil on the bottom of oven to catch the mess.
Sep 18, 2016
We've been trying to find a decent recipe to use up some leftover hotdogs (we never get through an entire pack). Of all the ones we've found, this is definitely the best. I cut this in half because we had half a pack of hotdogs left. I used whole milk because that's what we had. It took about 50 minutes in my oven. We will definitely make this again. Takes a little longer than a normal week night dish but oh well :)
Aug 25, 2015
I thought this was very good everyone liked it. They said it was a keeper for another time. I think it would be good with a little bacon in it. I thought it reminded me of scalloped potato with ham.
Dec 4, 2014
My 2 yr old and 5 yr old LOVED this dish. My teenager did too. Ok, so the entire family loved it!!
Oct 11, 2014
Wow, this is a great recipe!! My husband loved it, no changes made!
Oct 10, 2014
Every one loved it.