Hot Dog Pie
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 hot dogs, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 slices American cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the hot dogs, beans, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and cheese cubes. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, prick pastry shell with a fork. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Fill with hot beef mixture. Cut each cheese slice into four strips; make a lattice topping over pie. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 487 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 1321mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 21g protein.
Jun 20, 2018
Made as written. We ate enough to satisfy our hunger and threw the rest away. Couldn't even eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Aug 24, 2017
I've made this pie twice now. Based on personal preference, I leave the beans undrained, skip the mustard and use 1/2 - 1 tsp of mustard powder instead; and add a few spices such as chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder; and about 1/2 tsp salt as it can become too sweet (depending on the brand of beans). Otherwise, you can substitute Heinz 57 sauce for the ketchup to cut down the sweetness and add some spice.It can feed my fiance and I for 2 or 3 dinners, which is well appreciated, as we tend to work rotational shifts.
Jan 23, 2017
Made this last week and can only suggest that you don't drain the baked beans. It doesn't say either way on the recipe and so I did and it was kind of a dry meal.
Jan 14, 2017
Fast recipe, esp. if using the refrigerated pie dough. I did add 1/2 chopped onion to the meat while frying and 1 T. chili powder to add some kick . I made 2, 1 we ate and the other one I froze for another meal.
Jul 16, 2014
I have to say when I read the title, I was a little hesitant to make this. However, it was a huge hit in our house with myself, my husband, and our 3.5 year old and 1.5 year old. This was easy to make and uses ingredients that are usually on-hand in our household, I added some onion and bell pepper to the meat while it was cooking to use them up. We all loved the taste of it, too! Simple, quick, and tasty means one happy mom!
Sep 15, 2013
Dec 22, 2011
My whole family loved this.
Dec 30, 2009
I made this for dinner years ago when my aunt was over for dinner. When her brother passed away months later, she remembered this dish and asked me to make several pies for for the memorial service. The recipe was a huge hit with the all-adult crowd.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.