Hot Dog Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 4 medium carrots, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, potatoes, parsnips and onion in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Add the hot dogs, milk, soup, water, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 418 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 968mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 22, 2012
Because we are only two in out household, I changed out a few things with delicious results. I halved the recipe, but instead of parsnips (never used them) I replaced with 1 celery stalk. I didn't use evaporated milk, but used the whole can of soup, and instead of just a half cup of water, used 3/4 cup so more soup like. Husband loved it and instead of feeding four he ate for three!
Mar 11, 2010
this is really good! I did not change a thing,you just got to try this!
Feb 7, 2010
This is a surprise favorite. My kids even eat the carrots!
Dec 6, 2009
While it's touted as a kid's meal, my husband and I love this easy soup. It's a great one-dish meal!