Hot Dog Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 4 medium carrots, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, potatoes, parsnips and onion in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Add the hot dogs, milk, soup, water, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 418 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 968mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Sep 22, 2012
Because we are only two in out household, I changed out a few things with delicious results. I halved the recipe, but instead of parsnips (never used them) I replaced with 1 celery stalk. I didn't use evaporated milk, but used the whole can of soup, and instead of just a half cup of water, used 3/4 cup so more soup like. Husband loved it and instead of feeding four he ate for three!
Mar 11, 2010
this is really good! I did not change a thing,you just got to try this!
Feb 7, 2010
This is a surprise favorite. My kids even eat the carrots!
Dec 6, 2009
While it's touted as a kid's meal, my husband and I love this easy soup. It's a great one-dish meal!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.