Sausage Broccoli Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12-16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 to 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 9 ounces cheese tortellini, cooked and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 quarts half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, cook broccoli and carrots in chicken broth until tender. Stir in sausage and mushroom mixture. Add the soup, tortellini, pepper, basil and thyme; heat through. Stir in cream and cheese; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 298 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 19, 2014
I did like other suggested using half the milk....very yummy
Mar 23, 2011
This is an awsome soup. I have been making it for years and every time I make it for company somebody askes me for the recipe. However I do not use all half and half. I use one quart of whole milk and one quart of half and half because it gets to be a bit much. Cook it up, you'll love it. Chicago.
Oct 5, 2010
Fantastic! For my family, I doubled the sausage and the tortellini....it was wonderful, one of the best recipes I've made in a long time :)
Feb 23, 2009
This soup is absolutely tasty. I followed the directions and found that maybe next time, I will decrease the half and half by 1/2 since I like a little thicker soup. Very good!!