Sausage Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, picante sauce, sugar, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 161 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 870mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Jan 29, 2019
This is a very hearty soup. I only had hot sausage on hand so I used that. Next time I might throw in a little pasta. Delicious!
Dec 19, 2010
LOVE this recipe....my favorite soup!! I have made this for others and I am always asked for the recipe.
Aug 4, 2010
This is a favorite recipe, in our house. Healthy, quick and well recived by family and guests.