Sausage Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup country-style or regular Dijon mustard
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain fat and crumble sausage; return to Dutch oven along with remaining ingredients except mustard. Simmer, covered, 1 hour or until lentils and vegetables are tender. Stir in mustard. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 192 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 842mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein.
Mar 27, 2019
I too, used half the amount of mustard and agree it's a tasty, good soup. However, I'll make only as much as I need since the frozen leftovers do lose some flavor.
Feb 21, 2019
This is my favorite Lentil soup recipe. I hold ALL of the ingredients! I add one can of coke, 4 oz of bourbon and 8 cubes of ice. I stir briskly and enjoy. It's great. Really.
Jan 20, 2019
I cook for a senior lunch and everyone loves this one.
May 2, 2018
Apr 17, 2018
Great soup. I enjoy just about anything that has lentils involved. I forgot to add the mustard, so I'm not sure how that would have tasted, but as I mentioned I love lentils, so I'm sure that the mustard would have tasted good too.
Oct 15, 2014
Very good! I've never cooked with lentils before. I took the advice of other reviewers and only used half of the Dijon Mustard and am happy with the results. For my tastes the full amount would have been overpowering. You can always add more of an ingredient but you can't take it out! I often order curry lentil soup at my favorite middle eastern restaurant which is served with a lemon wedge to help brighten the taste of the soup. I think the mustard is included in this recipe for the same reason. The next time I make this I will omit the mustard until I have tried it with lemon.
Apr 8, 2014
I have made this soup since the recipe was printed. It is a favorite and I make it all winter. I do add more lentils because I love them and they are so healthy for you. I always double the batch and freeze it for lunches.
Jan 12, 2014
Very good and very easy. I didn't have lentils so use a sprouted bean trio and it worked just as well. Next time I might reduce the amount of mustard as it was almost overpowering the other flavours.
Jun 24, 2012
This is our favorite lentil soup. We have been eating it since it first came out back in the 90's. A great, easy soup.
Nov 7, 2011
Hearty and delicious. I loved it! We did celery instead of green pepper and some extra garlic. Will definetly make this again!