Sausage and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a small saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Reduce heat, add spinach and tortellini; cook until tortellini is tender, 7-9 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. If desired, top with crushed red pepper flakes.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 354 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1360mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Sep 29, 2019
I have made this recipe using orzo or ditalini pasta in place of the tortellini. Very good for a change. Also adding a can of drained cannelini beans. Adds bulk and taste.
Nov 10, 2013
Made this soup last week. Lovely. Light, yet filling. It is a winner in my home.
Feb 27, 2013
This is an excellent and easy soup recipe. I increased the recipe by using a box of chicken broth, a can of undiluted chicken broth, 3 cups of torn spinach, 3 cups of frozen cheese tortellini and 1 lb of bulk mild Italian sausage. The sausage I bought from the store was seasoned with anise. The aroma of the anise was wonderful and added just the right seasoning to the soup. I married into an Italian family and this recipe is a keeper. I'm only sorry I didn't have any home made stock at the time.
Mar 30, 2010
This soup is very tasty and goes together very quickly. This is definitely a keeper,