Sausage and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a small saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Reduce heat, add spinach and tortellini; cook until tortellini is tender, 7-9 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. If desired, top with crushed red pepper flakes.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 354 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1360mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 10, 2013
Made this soup last week. Lovely. Light, yet filling. It is a winner in my home.
Feb 27, 2013
This is an excellent and easy soup recipe. I increased the recipe by using a box of chicken broth, a can of undiluted chicken broth, 3 cups of torn spinach, 3 cups of frozen cheese tortellini and 1 lb of bulk mild Italian sausage. The sausage I bought from the store was seasoned with anise. The aroma of the anise was wonderful and added just the right seasoning to the soup. I married into an Italian family and this recipe is a keeper. I'm only sorry I didn't have any home made stock at the time.
Mar 30, 2010
This soup is very tasty and goes together very quickly. This is definitely a keeper,