Ham and Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours 10 min.
Makes10-12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 to 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, bring ham bone and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove ham bone. To broth, add the lentils, tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, remove ham from bone; coarsely chop. Add the ham, sausage and parsley to soup; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 173 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 27, 2018
Great way to use leftover holiday ham! Also, lower in carbs than split pea soup.
May 10, 2016
Excellent! I never thought to make a ham broth , but it would work with any type of beans.
Dec 6, 2015
I made this just as the recipe states, except that I had such a large, meaty ham bone that I doubled everything except the sausage. It was delicious! I will definitely make this soup again.
Apr 11, 2015
This was very delicious. I used 32 oz. chicken broth instead of water. Instead of using tomatoes, I used 3 tomatillos and an additional 28 oz. of chicken broth. Instead of the pork sausage I substituted Italian sausage which gave the dish a yummy zing. I put all the ingredients into the crockpot and cooked it on low for 10 hours. Delicious!!!
Jan 5, 2015
Great soup. I added drop dumplings
Oct 15, 2013
Wonderful recipe. Made some changes - used pork roast instead of ham, omitted the tomatoes & sausage. It still tasted great. Hubby raved over it, so I guess I'll be making more! Thanks for the recipe.
Oct 17, 2012
This was a great way to use my left over ham bone and ham. I added potatoes and some thyme to the recipe, but it was fabulous!
Oct 8, 2008
This soup is a new favorite in our house! It's fun to use other types of beans or barley for the lentils. Endless combinations.