Pillow-Soft Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, eggs, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (dough will be sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 184 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
May 18, 2018
This is the best recipe ever! I made it 3 times since I discovered it about 2 weeks ago. First time without milk, water only. Second and third time's without eggs. It was lovely everytime. Stayed pillow soft for days.
Jan 19, 2018
Halved the recipe and made these today. Wonderful. Will definitely make again!
Nov 3, 2017
How to adjust for high altitude
Jan 21, 2017
I made 32 rolls with this recipe. Baked 8 and froze the rest before the second rise. Great recipe. Great rolls.
Jul 28, 2016
These are the best I bake them all the time.
May 5, 2016
I've never been successful making any kind of bread. I just thought I didn't have the knack for baking...Until I made these rolls. They came out deliciously perfect! Never thought I'd be so proud of a dinner roll. Pillow-Soft indeed. I will make these again...and again.
Dec 26, 2015
Delicious! Nice soft rolls and easy to make. Will definitely make again.
Dec 17, 2014
Always complimented love it
Mar 1, 2014
I loved this recipe. It makes a nice, soft, and very tasty roll. My husband loved these, as did I.
Nov 7, 2012
down right easy for the lazy and the not so lazy