Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, eggs, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (dough will be sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
1 roll: 187 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.