Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups bread flour
- 48 dried currants
- 24 slivered almonds
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, mix pastry flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 1 minute. Add egg; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Let stand, covered, 15 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 24 balls. Roll each into a 10-in. rope; tie into a loose knot. Bring 1 end up and tuck into center of roll to form head. Flatten opposite end; with a sharp knife, cut 4 slits to form 5 tail feathers. Press 2 currants into head for eyes and 1 almond for beak. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk; brush over rolls. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm.
1 roll: 177 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.