Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups bread flour
- 48 dried currants
- 24 slivered almonds
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, mix pastry flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 1 minute. Add egg; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Let stand, covered, 15 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 24 balls. Roll each into a 10-in. rope; tie into a loose knot. Bring 1 end up and tuck into center of roll to form head. Flatten opposite end; with a sharp knife, cut 4 slits to form 5 tail feathers. Press 2 currants into head for eyes and 1 almond for beak. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk; brush over rolls. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm.
1 roll: 177 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.