Parker House Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 eggs
- 6-3/4 to 7-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the shortening, sugar and salt. Stir in boiling water. Cool to 110°-115°. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add yeast mixture, eggs and 3 cups flour to shortening mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Fold circles in half; press edges to seal. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Brush with butter. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 134 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Oct 11, 2016
As a kid I remember how wonderful my grandma's house would smell when she was baking her breads and pies. I feel blessed to make these and when they are baking I can almost feel her sitting beside me. I love making yeast breads. Thanks for sharing!!!!
Nov 27, 2015
I am not sure these are worth the trouble. I thought they were a little bland. Maybe they need a little more sugar or salt. My family loved them, but personally I wasn't that crazy about them. I had higher hopes.
Nov 12, 2015
I made this recipe and made cinnamon rolls out of it. It was delicious.
Jan 1, 2015
This is now our favorite dinner roll! They are soft and delicious. I did not roll mine out, though. I shaped them into balls and placed them in 9inch round baking pans. They turned out perfect.
Nov 25, 2014
I have a question about step #3. Do you really fold the cut out circle in half and seal the edges? The picture make them look round.
Aug 31, 2014
Good dinner rolls.
Aug 14, 2014
Jun 2, 2014
These are FABULOUS!
Jan 9, 2014
This recipe came out so wonderful, I felt like I had mastered bread making. I did use my stand mixer for the kneading, as these old hands are not what they used to be. Thank you for a great recipe.
Apr 22, 2011
Wonderful! These freeze very well after baking. My freezer is full of them so that I can pull them out whenever we have guests.