Zucchini Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup shredded peeled zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Place zucchini in a small bowl; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, 2 tablespoons cheese, sugar and remaining salt. Add zucchini; toss to combine. Combine water and butter; add to dry ingredients. Stir in remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half; shape each portion into 12 balls. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Repeat. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 90 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 20, 2020
It's a great way to use zucchini! My daughter thought the little green specks (I didn't peel the zucchini) were herbs and she said it made it taste better!
Jan 13, 2018
Delicious. I made the dough in the bread machine and it came out great. Finished them by hand and baked them in the oven. Will definitely make these again.
Jun 9, 2017
I have given this recipe one star because if I gave it no stars it probably wouldn't show up. But no stars are what it deserves. I was hesitant to make these because it seemed like a lot of flour for the amount of everything else (except water), but I needed a recipe for zucchini rolls and the reviews were very good. It took a long time, what with two dough risings, dirtied a fair number of dishes, and the rolls had NO TASTE except for flour. I actually tossed them, which means I will have to go to the store tomorrow and buy something because I don't have enough time to make something else. These are terrible. I will never use another Taste of Home recipe again.
Jan 15, 2017
Made in my cuisinart stand mixer with the dough hook. Mixed up in 2 1/2 minutes. Biscuits came out soft, flaky, and crunchy with the perfect taste. We will be making these again! Thanks for the recipe.
Aug 20, 2015
These came out just perfect! Will be making them again and again!!
Feb 20, 2015
Yummy dinner rolls! I made them in my bread machine and they came out perfectly. Another thing - I didn't peel the zucchini. I'd made the zucchini raisin (yeast) bread recipe that I found here at TOH, and I liked the little green flecks in the finished product. They looked pretty in these rolls, too. These are a keeper, and I love the ease of using my bread machine to make them!
Jan 21, 2014
Reading reviews, these look easy to make. Saved recipe. Now we'll just see how long it takes to make 'em!
Nov 19, 2013
Aug 1, 2013
I substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the all purpose flour. These rolls are really delicious.
Jul 31, 2013
I just made these for a second time. They are so soft & easy to make!!! The key with yeast breads is to make sure the water is warm & not hot water. My entire family LOVES these & it's a great way to use up zucchini!