We love lasagna, but these zucchini roll-ups are a little healthier and a lot quicker! Using zucchini "pasta" also makes the dish gluten- and grain-free. To make zucchini strips, use a box grater or mandoline to get even slices. —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium zucchini
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, combine ricotta, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Slice zucchini lengthwise into twelve 1/8-in.-thick slices. Top each slice with 1 rounded tablespoonful cheese mixture. Roll up and secure with toothpicks; place seam side down in an ungreased 8-in. baking dish.
- Combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning; pour over rolls. Cover and bake until bubbly, 20-25 minutes. Remove toothpicks before serving. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.