Chocolate Zucchini Roll
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded peeled zucchini
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to egg mixture until well blended. (batter will be thick).
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with cocoa. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 309 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Aug 12, 2014
I think this is the best zucchini recipe I have found!! The first one I made I grated the zucchini and put it into a strainer to let excess moisture drain out. It only cracked a little when rolling and all I did was slice on the crack and nobody knew! Now the one I made today I didn't drain any of the zucchini and it cracked even more. But I was still able to roll it up and once again, I will slice on the cracks. I am thinking the moisture is a factor so I will definitely drain from now on. I also baked for 15 minutes anything sooner left it "sticky". I love the filling but I was thinking of trying it with Strawberry cream cheese for a different variation. I also thought of Marshmallow, Cherry nut, or Gob fillings too! This is definitely a keeper going to make them and freeze them for the holidays!
Aug 30, 2013
Rolling it didn't work for me either so I made it into a torte. Tastes the same although it doesn't look as pretty since there is not enough to frosten the sides.
Aug 14, 2013
I have made roll cakes before w/o a problem, but this one cracked when I unrolled from the towel. I still filled & re-rolled, but it was impossible to cut w/o falling apart :( After reading all of the other great reviews, I'm wondering if my zucchini had too much moisture. Not really sure, but very frustrating...Thought this was going to be a keeper.
Mar 8, 2013
I made this when I was expecting company. My husband and I ate it before the company got here so I had to make another one to serve to them. It is really good and not very difficult to make.
Sep 20, 2011
I have made a lot of roll cakes but this one did not work for me. I made it just like the recipe called for, letting it cool 5 minutes before rolling it up as directed. When it had cooled completely and I unrolled it, it fell all apart and was more like a fudgy brownie. Not sure what went wrong, the cake its self was very good. Not a complete loss, going to make cake balls out of it, but definately not going to serve it to my bunco group tomorrow.
Aug 23, 2011
I have a gransdon who is 11 and a VERY PICKY EATER. I gave him a small bite of the dessert and he said he liked it! Now you're talking about a kid who will not eat anything green (unless it's jello), and not a big eater of chocolate either. This is a fantastic dessert. No way can you tell there is zucchini in this. I used 2 cups and squeezed the moisture out of the first cup only. I had to make a few changes because I am allergic to eggs. Used the equivalent of 2 eggs from "Egg Replacer" and also sprinkled some plain gelatin over cold water to let it set up (3 minutes). I had never made a jelly roll cake before and was very pleased with the outcome. My husband really liked it and of course, so did I. Will be making this again for ourselves and our 4 kids and their families.
Mar 18, 2010
I have made the chocolate zucchini cake and it is awesome and just when I thought it couldn't get any better here's this recipe! So easy and so very delicious!!! I peel and grate my extra zucchinis from my garden and put in freezer bags and freeze. Then, during the cold winter months I thaw it out for baking. If you do this, make sure you put the freezer bags in a bowl and defrost in the refrigerator as they will leek water. I drain the zucchini before I measure it for my recipe. This works very well. I make cookies, cupcakes and cakes this way! Helps heat the house on frosty mornings and delivers a delicious treat for the family and friends! Nice!
Aug 27, 2009
Aug 17, 2009
Oh my this cake is awesome! A super way to use up your garden zucchini. This recipe is easy too! No one in my house knew it had zucchini in it. Moist Moist
Aug 3, 2009
This was really good. My family loved it. I was not sure about the zucchini and chocolate together but you don't even taste zucchni. Will make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.