Chocolate Ice Cream Roll
Since my husband is not a cake fan, I need to be creative when making his birthday dessert. This year, I came up with this ice cream roll. It went over big with everyone...including our little daughter, Kaitlynn. A mint sprig makes a pretty garnish.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 10 min. + freezing
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup sugar divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 quart cookies and cream ice cream, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, baking powder and salt until slightly thickened. Stir in extracts. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Sift flour and cocoa together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be thick).
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread ice cream evenly over the cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and freeze until firm.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; beat in the milk, butter and vanilla until smooth. Spread over cake roll. Cut into slices. Freeze leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 377 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Ice Cream Roll in Country Woman January/February 2005