Chocolate Cake Roll
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + standing Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 6 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in vanilla. combine the flour, cocoa and salt; add to egg yolk mixture until blended.
- Beat egg whites on medium until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a fourth of the egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Line a greased 15x10x1-n. baking pan with parchment; grease the paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center (do not overbake). Cool for 5 minutes; invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off parchment. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire racks.
- In a large bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form; chill. Unroll cake; spread with whipped cream to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam down on serving platter; chill. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 225 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 5, 2020
Tasty, of course, what could be bad? But, I think this recipe calls for too many eggs or not enough dry ingredients. It takes a long time to bake, and is still too moist--prone to stick to the towel and can require a lot of patching.
Aug 7, 2015
Really good, but never sure how it will turn out. Will it stick to parchment and break apart???
Feb 18, 2014
This cake is so light and fluffy. It doesn't have a strong chocolate flavor and it's not very sweet, but I love it anyway!