Caramel Banana Cake Roll
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fat-free caramel ice cream topping
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg eggs on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in vanilla. Sift flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder together twice; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick). Stir in banana and lemon peel.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla; fold in whipped topping. Unroll cake; spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again; place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and drizzle with caramel topping. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 269 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 24, 2014
Very good. I did add a little cinnamon to the cake. The cake was a little hard to roll, as it cracked, but it all worked out. Instead of ice cream caramel sauce, I melted come caramel cubes, mixed with a little half and half and poured it over the cake. It was a hit at my house
Aug 3, 2013
Didnt have a nice flavor for me.. and was hard to roll up
Feb 27, 2012
@maricusa. Try some ground cinnamon or allspice in the filling or for something different whip 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 1 tbsp honey and some chili flakes into it for an interesting sweet, savory. spicy kick. In this case skip the caramel topping and just top the cake with a simple syrup flavoured as you like (a little Jack Daniel's does wonders)
Jul 15, 2010
I thought this was very good. A little time consuming but worth it. I actually made two because I had bananas to use up.
Jan 14, 2010
Excellent cake recipe. Filling is pretty good but needs a little something else which I haven't figured out yet!
Jun 15, 2009
Very delicious! I made two of these for a family get together and we didn't have any leftovers. It will go quickly! :)
Apr 9, 2009
This has become one of my absolute favorite recipes! I made it often & always get asked for the recipe!
Aug 20, 2008
Very yummy! I made this for a family get together and it didn't last long!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.