Chocolate Chip Caramel Rolls
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, oil, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead in chocolate chips until dough is smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Spread butter over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Sprinkle with chocolate chips; gently press into dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cream; pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange rolls cut side up over syrup. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a serving platter. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 499 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 358mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 4, 2019
These rolls were pretty easy to make and the chocolate chips added a special twist compared to other cinnamon rolls that I have made in the past. But, mine came out a little dry and with very little caramel sauce. I added some icing on top, which would actually be the bottom, and they tasted much better.
Jun 8, 2017
Not sure if I did something wrong, but I found this a very difficult recipe to make. I followed the recipe per verbatim and these were not tasty at all.
Dec 23, 2015
Very easy dough to work with. I just did by hand- didn't use the mixer. Nice big rolls! Will be our Christmas morning treat this year.
Feb 26, 2011
The perfect combo of cinnamon, chocolate, and caramel. Yummy!!!