Apple Butter Cake Roll
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups apple butter
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour and 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining flour and sugar; add the cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, cloves and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, butter, molasses and water. Add to dry ingredients and beat until blended. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread apple butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared apple butter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 283 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 7, 2019
Looks fantastic will be adding this to my week night recipes
Jan 20, 2019
What a great recipe! I substituted my homemade pear butter for the apple butter, which was delicious. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pear-adise-butter/
Dec 23, 2009
This roll was very easy to prepare and had wonderful gingerbread flavor. It was a big hit at work and with family. I did tweak the recipe a little, because I can't help myself. I used freshly ground spices and I added 8 ounces of cream cheese to the apple butter. The result was delicious. Thank you much for this change from a pumpkin roll for the holidays!