- 3 large Eggland's Best eggs, rom temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Add pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; fold into the pumpkin mixture.
- Grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan and line with parchment. Grease and flour the paper. Spread batter into pan; sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately turn out onto a clean dish towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Peel off paper and roll cake up in towel, starting with a short end. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Carefully unroll the cake. Spread filling over cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and chill until serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 365 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 21, 2019
I just made my first pumpkin roll and I have a question it is very good and so is the cream cheese icing I only a one split and it wasn't bad but I notice when you roll it up in a towel covered with powder sugar it still splits and it seems like the towel gets so damp is there a solution for that!
Oct 9, 2018
Great Pumpkin Roll. Some times I will use whipping cream with a little Pumpkin spice instead of the Cream Cheese. Wife has me make it a couple of times a year!
Oct 10, 2016
I made this today to see if it indeed was that easy to master...and to my surprise it was. I am definitely making this cake roll! delicious and easy!!!
Mar 24, 2016
This is a great recipe. Mastering the roll takes time and patience, even if it doesn't look the greatest it will get eaten. I use the 8oz. bricks of cream cheese since that is what I find on sale around the holidays. My family would rather have this than the pumpkin pie. I usually make 2, one for the walnut lovers and one with out.
Nov 11, 2015
My family loves this, especially my dad! I didn't make it one year at Thanksgiving and everybody said "Where's the pumpkin cake roll???"
Jul 29, 2015
This was my first try on a pumpkin roll. My friend used to make them and it looked complicating to me so I never made it for myself, but I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried it. We loved it so my family will be eating this at Thanksgiving as well
Nov 5, 2014
This has a very mild pumpkin taste. If one likes more pumpkin flavor, this cake isn't the one. This is also, very easy to make.
Sep 9, 2014
I found this quick and easy for a cake roll and also very tasty.
Jan 17, 2014
There are several Pumpkin Roll recipes out there. After my mother and I made these we've never searched for another one. They can be tricky to make but if you master them you'll make them a holiday staple. This is more of a dense cake; it?s not so much light and airy as it is decadent. My mom and I make ours without nuts on top but if you're looking for something to create a more diverse texture make 2 one with and one without. You can never have enough roll! I've easily made over 50 of these bad boys so here are a couple tips. When it comes to rolling these, use an old pillowcase instead of a dish towel of cheese cloth. The linen is finer and comes away from the cake much easier. When you roll them the first time right out of the oven, make sure you're rolling it as if the icing is in there. The first couple inches are the hardest. If you?re using a pillow case roll the end of the pillow case up tight until you get to the end of the cake and continue loosely, sort of like a spacer for the very inside. You don't want a super tight roll because it will make the cake crack and you won't have a lot of room for error when you add the icing later. As far as the icing goes, it?s hard to mess up a cream cheese icing. It goes great with everything! My family does the 6 ounces of cream cheese but experiment with the thickness and adding additional flavors. I?m going to try a little flavored syrup in mine next time. For those living on the edge try using your favorite dark rum as an extra treat! Be careful not to get it too thin or you'll have icing everywhere :) cut the log partially frozen for more precise spiraling and use a hot knife. Wiping off the knife each time will properly show off just how hard you worked to get these delicious rolls made from scratch!
Nov 16, 2011
This has become a family tradition