Lemon Cake Roll
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in water. Combine dry ingredients; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, egg, water and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 200 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 13, 2018
Dry sponge, even though cooked for the minimum time at a lower temperature. (Only variation was to add some grated lemon zest, to give it some flavor.) Filling needs to be stiffer than a curd, to avoid soaking into the cake and oozing out when rolling. Admittedly, I tried it because I had all the ingredients on hand and hadn't felt like going to the store to get cream and other ingredients for a richer, thicker filling. I won't make this again, and won't finish what's left beyond the two slices we tasted ....
Mar 27, 2016
I have made quite a few rolls and I don't know if I did something wrong but it didn't turn out well at all and I made it twice. Will not be making This again.
Jul 26, 2015
Incredibly easy and absolutely delicious. I'm not much of a baking genius but this came out lovely. Didn't have the right pan nor did I have kitchen towel, used substitutes for both but it came out well :D Here are some pictures :) https://kiliguinon.wordpress.com/2015/07/26/lemon-swiss-roll/A must try :D
Dec 28, 2012
Im going to try it again but mine came out like a stale sandwich very dry. I left it less minutes than it said. I followed step by step but ill try leaving it less time in the oven
Dec 4, 2012
Ths is light and refreshing. Cake rolls are so simple to make but get rave reviews every time I serve them.
Apr 26, 2012
I jazzed it up with using sugar free lemon gelatin in the cake batter. I used Splenda instead of sugar for both cake and filling. Added lemon zest to both also. Instead of the powder sugar I added a lemon flavored (1/4 tsp of lemon juice in place of vanilla)meringue to it and baked till light brown. Garnished it with lemon twist and spearmint leaves. Lovely presentation and I think the changes were very refreshing.
Apr 23, 2012
It was easy to make and was delicious.
Mar 31, 2012
I don't know what it is with this recipe, nobody really like it. My family usually loves citrus flavored desserts but this wasn't a hit. Maybe I did something wrong when I left out 1/2 cup of sugar in the cake because I thought there was too much. The cake had a weird texture, spongy, but I guess it is supposed to be like that. The filling was good but it oozed everywhere and the cake was hard to roll up. Maybe it would have been better if there was some lemon flavor in it. Don't base my judgement on whether or not you should make this, just wasn't a hit.
May 9, 2011
This cake is awesome! It looks so pretty. It is light and tasty. I served it on Mother's Day for a nice Spring treat. Used parchment paper instead of waxed and it worked beautifully as it did not stick. Will make again and again.
Sep 11, 2009
Mine did not turn out all that well......I guess that the rolling was harder then I thought......*sigh*....still tasted good though...I will be trying again....
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.