Orange Ricotta Cake Roll
I come from a big Italian family where my mom cooked and baked many delicious meals and desserts from scratch. Now I like to do the same for my family. This cake is my finale to our Italian Christmas Eve dinner. —Cathy Banks, Encinitas, California
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min. + chilling
- 4 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a bowl. Preheat oven to 325°. Line bottom of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment; grease paper. Sift cocoa, flour and salt together twice.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in vanilla. Fold in cocoa mixture (batter will be very thick).
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, 9-11 minutes. Cover cake with waxed paper; cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove waxed paper; invert cake onto an 18-in.-long sheet of waxed paper dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off parchment.
- In a small bowl, beat cheeses and sugar until blended. Stir in Kahlua, orange zest and vanilla. Spread over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Trim ends; place on a platter, seam side down.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour before serving. To serve, dust with confectioners’ sugar.