Sweet Potato Pie Cake Roll
Smooth cream cheese filling is all rolled up in the cinnamony sweet potato flavor of a sponge cake. This tantalizing change-of-pace dessert makes an attractive conclusion to a holiday meal.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Add sweet potatoes; mix well. Combine flour and cinnamon; fold into sweet potato mixture. Spread into pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes; invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Fold in nuts. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for 1 cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 326 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Cake Roll in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.