Apple Cinnamon Rolls
I like to serve these cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. This recipe is great because it can be prepared a day early and makes big portions.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup grated peeled apple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; let rest for 10 minutes. Roll into a 12-in. square. Sprinkle crumb mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges; top with apple and pecans.
- Roll up jelly-roll style; pinch seams to seal. Cut into nine slices. Place cut side up in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- Uncover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 642 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 95g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Apple Cinnamon Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.