Vanilla Cinnamon Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft set; set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/2 cup butter, eggs, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add pudding; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18x11-in. rectangle; brush with remaining butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 16 slices. Place cut side down in two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cream and butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Beat in confectioners' sugar with a hand mixer until creamy. Frost warm rolls. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 cinnamon roll: 252 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 11, 2014
These are fantastic, very soft and yummy! I doubled the filling and added a little more butter in the center, going all the way to the edge. I also doubled the icing.
Feb 14, 2013
My kids loved them, but I did not care for the frosting. The brown sugar in the frosting, makes it over powering.
Oct 31, 2011
Sounds great! Can I use the bread maker to knead the dough?
Nov 21, 2010
Best cinnamon rolls I've ever had, ever. I was very new to making yeast breads and it still worked for me, even if they weren't the prettiest the first couple of times. The amazing taste and icing MORE than make up for the looks if they don't turn out perfectly the first time.
Jun 24, 2010
One of the best and easiest cinnamon bun recipes I've tried. I've made these a dozen times or more and everyone loves them. The dough is so light and easy to work with. If you don't want them too sweet, halve the frosting recipe.Awesome in my books!
May 13, 2010
I made it for company and it was an absolute hit. It was so moist and soft, and it melts in your mouth! One caution though: I suggest not drizzling too much frosting on it _that is, don't cover it). We found them to be a bit oversweet that way. Overall though, a definate keeper.
Jan 28, 2010
loved this recipe so moist
Dec 1, 2008
My brother made this recipe for my family and we ALL fell in love with it...PERFECTLY moist and scrumptious :)
Nov 30, 2008
Love this recipe easy to do. I also tried banana pudding was great