Cinnamon Roll Macarons
These macarons are a winter/fall staple for me—inspired by the classic cinnamon roll, they are a delicious treat for a cold or snowy day. These pair well with a mug of tea, and can be eaten as a dessert or just a snack. Other fillings would taste great with this—custard, mousse, ganache, or other buttercream. —Elizabeth Ding, El Cerrito, California
Total TimePrep: 45 min Bake: 10 min./batch
- 4 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups almond flour
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional ground cinnamon
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift almond flour, confectioners' sugar and cinnamon together twice.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in almond flour mixture.
- Cut a small hole in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag. Pipe 1-in.-diameter cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned and firm to the touch, 9-12 minutes. Transfer cookies on the parchment paper to wire racks; cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until fluffy. Refrigerate until mixture firms to a spreading consistency, about 10 minutes.
- Spread about 1/4 teaspoon filling onto the bottom of each of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 60 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 15mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cinnamon Roll Macarons in 2020 Taste of Home Annual Recipes