Creamy Chocolate Cake Roll
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- CREAM FILLING/FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Stir in vanilla. Sift flour and cocoa together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with baking cocoa. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and dry pudding mix until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in cream until thick.
- Unroll cake; spread 2-1/2 cups filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Frost top, sides and ends with remaining filling. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the chips, jam and cream. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in extract. Serve with cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 766 calories, 56g fat (34g saturated fat), 270mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jul 4, 2011
This cake was so good and it came out perfect and it did look like the picture.I just done half of the sauce and I did not have raspberry so I used my strawberry jam that I make and it turned out great.The taste was great and made the cake roll taste even better.I will make this cake roll over and over again.Thank you so much for this great recipe.
Nov 23, 2010
Wonderful cake. turned out exactly like the picture. I will be making this cake again for Thanksgiving. The sauce was an excellent touch.
Mar 19, 2010
it was worth the time and effort. Looks elegant and taste as good as it looks.
Jan 17, 2010
This was so good. My company are still raving over how wonderful it was. I would definitely make this again. If you want to impress your dinner guests this is the dessert.
Dec 17, 2009
This was outstanding. People are still commenting on the flavor and how elegant it was. I am over my assumption that rolled cakes are labor intensive and time consuming. This is a keeper!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.