Dark Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
A colleague brought this in one day for someone’s birthday. I grow zucchini in my garden so I had a lot of opportunities to experiment with the recipe. My mother-in-law loves it, and not just because it's pretty good for you! —Sally Newton, Smethport, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat two 8x4-in. loaf pans with cooking spray; dust with flour, tapping out extra.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen sides from pans with a knife. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 209 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016