Makeover Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups shredded peeled zucchini
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flours, cocoa, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in zucchini. Transfer to two 8x4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 137 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jun 26, 2016
Moist, delishious, and not too sweet. This makes 2 beautiful loaves. I added 1cup of chopped walnuts at the end. Love. Thank you!
Apr 21, 2014
Love this bread, but as with all the other breads I make, I use just applesauce instead of any oil. They always come out delicious. Adding chocolate chips to this one is really good too.
Sep 30, 2013
I made other changes and they are fabulous. I substituted pumpkin for applesauce and olive oil for canola. I also added 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. I only have part of a loaf left because my friends took the rest!
Sep 9, 2013
Amazing flavor and very moist! My family requests this quite often.
Oct 26, 2011
Very tasty and moist.
Aug 27, 2011
I loved it! Easy and so good . just used regular flour and used vanilla yogurt instead of oil and it turned out so good! Defiantly writing this one down!
Aug 17, 2011
great way to use zucchini from the garden. Its fluffy and delicious and freezes great. Easy snack throughout the year to pull out of the freezer, would def recommend!!
Aug 15, 2011
I have made this recipe several times since finding it on ToH a month ago. It is delicious! Even my husband devours it and several friends have asked for the recipe - especially after learning that it is a healthier version. Loaves also freeze nicely for last minute gifts.
Aug 11, 2011
Aug 30, 2010
There was NO WAY 1 cup of flour was gonna make it. Way too much liquid between applesauce, oil and juice of zucchini, soooo I upped it to 1 3/4 Cups of All Purpose Flour. Came out fine!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.