Chocolate Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, bananas, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the banana mixture and mix just until combined. Fold in nuts if desired. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 184 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 28, 2019
The combination of chocolate and bananas works well here. This makes great gifts for the holidays!
Oct 26, 2018
Will make again and again. Added this to my recipe box.
Oct 21, 2018
This is an easy recipe and just enough chocolate. I left out the nuts.
Oct 16, 2018
This bread is a nice variation of a traditional banana bread. I love the chocolate flavor. I may try adding chocolate chips next time for more chocolate. I also left out the nuts.
Jun 12, 2018
Very good recipe, will definitely make again.
Jan 3, 2018
This is a nice recipe. It is not as quickly made as recipes that call for oil (rather than butter that requires creaming), but in the end the flavor is really good. I like a previous reviewer's suggestions about adding chocolate chips and will try that next time for some additional flavor as well.
Apr 28, 2017
The flavor was good! I think I would add chocolate chips next time.
Sep 1, 2016
Wow this is the best banana bread I have ever made-and I have made a few in the last 50 years! This will be my go to recipe for ripe bananas!!
Feb 20, 2016
This was pretty good but I used half of the salt. A full teaspoon seemed like an awful lot of salt. I also threw in some chocolate chips and shredded coconut. I made muffins and they were moist and fluffy but they just seemed to be missing something. I'll make these again but try adding a little cinnamon.
Sep 25, 2015
Did not care for this recipe. I had such high hopes. I will stick with my go-to chocolate banana bread which is more moist and flavorful.