Zucchini-Chocolate Chip Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Beat the egg, oil, milk, lemon juice and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each muffin on high for 20-30 seconds or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 234 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 15, 2017
Omitted nuts due to allergies, doubled the amount of chips instead. Would also be great with cinnamon chips or even raisins. Perfect on-the-go breakfast or snack!
Aug 1, 2017
This is perfect with 1 cup zucchini, and i doubled the chocolate chips instead of using nuts. I have previously made this recipe with extra zucchini and the texture was off/too gooey.
Jul 10, 2017
I reduced the sugar to 2/3 cup, but was still too sweet for our taste. I also added a bit more mini chocolate chips and used a heaping cup of zucchini from the garden. Next time I would use 1/2 cup sugar.
Aug 8, 2016
Excellent recipe. Muffins freeze well, and they aren't too sweet.
Aug 5, 2016
Took these to my Tai Chi morning class and everyone wanted the recipe. The next class they ask where the muffins were! So good and moist.
Jul 25, 2016
My only change to the recipe was to add more chocolate chips, and we loved them!! So did our neighbors that I shared them with.
Feb 22, 2016
These are amazing and wonderful. I used applesauce instead of oil and added some Chia seeds and flaxseed, going to make some with raisins next time and see how that is! Thank you so much for the recipe!!
Jan 27, 2016
These are good, but I enjoy zucchini bread better.
Dec 1, 2015
Was not sure my children would like this but they ate them up!!
Aug 30, 2015
These muffins are delicious! Moist and soft with just the right amount of sweetness from the chocolate chips. The cinnamon tastes wonderful with the chocolate chips and the toasted flavour of the walnuts really take it over the top! Wonderful snack or breakfast treat anytime but especially late summer/early fall. Great way to use up excess zucchini from the garden!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.