Yummy Zucchini Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar and oil on medium speed 1 minute. Add eggs, applesauce and vanilla; beat 1 minute. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until blended. Stir in zucchini.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 10-15 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 285 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 23, 2018
I wanted to try something different using zucchini and came across this recipe. I cut it in half and baked it in an 8 by 8 pan. In general, the cake was simple enough to make. I liked that the topping wasn't frosting. The actual cake could have had more chocolate for and it seemed to take quite a bit longer to bake. Overall, I'd make it again and maybe add chocolate chips to the actually cake batter.
Feb 25, 2018
Will try to make the zucchini chocolate cake made at home or will try to get it from large store.like cakes-thanks for the recipe.
Jun 19, 2016
This recipe is amazing! Made it for the family over the weekend and it was a big hit.
Jun 19, 2016
Followed the instructions to a T. It has a nice crumb and rose nicely. It wasn't super moist, the chocolate flavor wasn't deep or pronounced, and the toppings didn't stick to the top (the crust was set by 20 minutes) or melt. Good vanilla ice cream made it better, but on its own it was very disappointing. I am really disappointed with the Taste of Home recipes that I have tried recently. Maybe my tastes have changed, but it seems like the TOH recipes I made 7 years ago were better.
Jun 15, 2016
I recently made these as cup cakes for a bake sale. A lot of work but so lovely!
Mar 30, 2015
Good recipe. A little bit too sweet for my taste but overall very delicious! Thanks for sharing.
Feb 19, 2015
Freaking amazing!!!! Not too sweet, but totally delicious, and dense, and chocolately, and...nomnomnom...I can't be bothered right now...I'm eating cake...nomnomnom
Oct 2, 2014
Easy to make , really enjoyed by all the Family, would take to a church potluck. I froze a few pieces for later, and they were fine.
Sep 30, 2014
Great made as cupcakes, A hit with the granddaughters
Sep 5, 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.