Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
Years ago, I added some zucchini to a peanut butter bar I had created, and this time I wanted to try it with a cake. The zucchini makes it super moist but doesn’t get in the way of the chocolate and peanut butter goodness.—Marilyn Blankschien, Clintonville, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream peanut butter, butter and brown sugar until blended. In another bowl, whisk 1-1/4 cups flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture. Beat just until mixture is sandy. Remove 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping.
- To remaining mixture, beat in remaining flour, egg, vanilla and buttermilk. Stir in zucchini. Spread into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Stir cinnamon into reserved topping. Sprinkle over batter; top with chocolate chips.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 297 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake in Simple & Delicious June/July 2018