Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended. Stir in coffee (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, beat the cream cheese and peanut butter in a bowl until smooth. Beat in sugar, milk and vanilla. Spread over cake. Sprinkle with chocolate chips if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 365 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 26, 2018
This is a moderately moist cake—a scaled down version of my mother’s mocha cake which you could have used for weight lifting because it was so moist and dense. The peanut butter icing is delicious and not too sweet. My one adjustment for next time is that I will make sure I use VERY strong coffee to bring out the mocha flavor a bit more.
Jul 9, 2017
This moist cake is perfect for the emding of a Sunday Dinner!!
Oct 12, 2016
This cake was pretty good. I made a half batch in a 7x8 glass dish, and it turned out fine. I didn't halve the frosting, and that amount was more than needed (but probably not twice as much as needed). We were in a hurry, so I served it warm and spooned frosting over each piece. "Warm" was the best part!
Jun 7, 2016
Love this go to recipe. I make this a lot when I crave Chocolate and Peanut butter.
Jan 15, 2016
Coffee as an ingredient is what caused me to make this cake. It definitely brings out the chocolate flavor. I would add the optional mini chocolate chips, they are a cute touch.
Jun 24, 2014
These were delicious. I was a little worried with how thin the batter was, but they turned out fantastic. I turned the cake into cupcakes (makes 20 cupcakes) and doubled the icing.
Feb 12, 2014
Awesome cake and frosting. Will be a "keeper" recipe.
May 4, 2013
It's the truth--coffee really does enhance chocolate, like all the pro chefs say. That's the difference in this cake compared to others.
Feb 27, 2013
I have been making this cake for many years for church functions and neighborhood picnics and it's the first cake gone on the table! Everyone asks me for this recipe so it's definately a winner. Only change I make is that I double the frosting recipe to make a thicker layer for a 13x9 pan.
Nov 29, 2012
I use this for cupcakes all of the time. Everyone loves them.