Chocolate-Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped salted or unsalted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small saucepan, combine water, butter, peanut butter and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Prepare frosting while cake is baking. In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Remove cake from oven; place on a wire rack. Immediately spread with frosting; sprinkle with peanuts. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 482 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 25, 2019
Like the review- the frosting was way too sweet. Once I made it I added a small thing of cream cheese which cut down the overly sugary taste. Waited till it cooled. Was a hit! Highly recommend adding cream cheese to the frosting!
Jul 21, 2019
We followed the instructions and thought it was far far too sweet, probably half the sugar would have done. The peanut butter flavour was good but our icing was extremely runny and ran straight off the cake - in hindsight we should have added that slowly as we beat the icing. I would make it again but with a significantly reduced quantity of sugar
Jul 14, 2019
made this / Family loved it.. It is a keeper. will make again
Jun 23, 2019
I thought the cake had a slightly "rubbery" texture compared to other similar recipes I've made, but it had the perfect peanut butter to chocolate balance. Overall, it was a tasty cake.
Jul 12, 2018
Delicious, moist, rich cake. Good peanut butter flavor in the cake, even without the frosting. I waited a little while to frost it based on earlier reviews, but it was not long enough. The frosting still melted and pooled at the edges. I recommend waiting until the cake has cooled completely.
Jun 12, 2018
Great and tasty cake with minor changes made: buttermilk instead of sour cream, 1/8 of peanut butter, with 1/2 cup of boiled water. Used different icing which was cream cheese. Overall delicious.
Mar 12, 2018
This is a good cake. I made one half recipe baked in an 8-inch cake pan. The cake batter was very thick which made me think the cake would not turn out, but it was actually very good. It might be a good idea to note in the directions that the batter will be very thick. I adjusted the amount of powdered sugar in the frosting to suit our taste. I may try another frosting recipe next time. Overall, this was a good cake.
Jul 22, 2017
We love PB and chocolate together and this recipe satisfies our sweet tooth!!
Mar 19, 2017
I'm very happy I found this recipe; it's absolutely delicious! It perfectly satisfied my peanut butter and chocolate cravings!!Like every frosting recipe, I adjusted the milk and powdered sugar ratios to suit my preferences and it was perfect. I also waited to frost until the cake was completely cool - I learned that lesson a long time ago!I'm not sure why some feel the need to poorly rate recipes based on things like too much frosting or baking times. Ovens can be different and every one has different preferences in how they like their frosting!This is a very delicious cake recipe and I will be making it often.
Mar 9, 2016
This is a great recipe; my 10 year old saw this and decided to make it. I helped her because it's a bit putzy with boiling the pb, water, etc. But worth it. I will add this to my potluck list of desserts. Super fluffy. Also, the frosting seems runny but once applied it sets up the next day even better.