Chocolate-Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped salted or unsalted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small saucepan, combine water, butter, peanut butter and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Prepare frosting while cake is baking. In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Remove cake from oven; place on a wire rack. Immediately spread with frosting; sprinkle with peanuts. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 482 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jul 12, 2018
Delicious, moist, rich cake. Good peanut butter flavor in the cake, even without the frosting. I waited a little while to frost it based on earlier reviews, but it was not long enough. The frosting still melted and pooled at the edges. I recommend waiting until the cake has cooled completely.
Jun 12, 2018
Great and tasty cake with minor changes made: buttermilk instead of sour cream, 1/8 of peanut butter, with 1/2 cup of boiled water. Used different icing which was cream cheese. Overall delicious.
Mar 12, 2018
This is a good cake. I made one half recipe baked in an 8-inch cake pan. The cake batter was very thick which made me think the cake would not turn out, but it was actually very good. It might be a good idea to note in the directions that the batter will be very thick. I adjusted the amount of powdered sugar in the frosting to suit our taste. I may try another frosting recipe next time. Overall, this was a good cake.
Jul 22, 2017
We love PB and chocolate together and this recipe satisfies our sweet tooth!!
Mar 19, 2017
I'm very happy I found this recipe; it's absolutely delicious! It perfectly satisfied my peanut butter and chocolate cravings!!Like every frosting recipe, I adjusted the milk and powdered sugar ratios to suit my preferences and it was perfect. I also waited to frost until the cake was completely cool - I learned that lesson a long time ago!I'm not sure why some feel the need to poorly rate recipes based on things like too much frosting or baking times. Ovens can be different and every one has different preferences in how they like their frosting!This is a very delicious cake recipe and I will be making it often.
Mar 9, 2016
This is a great recipe; my 10 year old saw this and decided to make it. I helped her because it's a bit putzy with boiling the pb, water, etc. But worth it. I will add this to my potluck list of desserts. Super fluffy. Also, the frosting seems runny but once applied it sets up the next day even better.
Feb 29, 2016
Cake has a good flavor but tje amount of icing is way too much. Half would be better.
Feb 20, 2016
I made this cake today. I followed instructions completely, used a 9x13 pan and this cake was still so not cooked...I had to add another 15 minutes (in 5 min measures) and it is still not completely cooked. outside is but middle is not. I bake at least 3 times a week and never have a problem. I would not make this again.
Feb 11, 2016
I made the cake as written. I would make it again with the following changes. Add baking powder as it was a tad heavy for my tastes. Also, let the cake cool a little before spreading frosting. Adding it immediately as the recipe instructions say melts the frosting and it pools along the sides. Fortunately I made it on a cold day so I put it in the garage to quickly cool and kept rearranging the frosting until it stayed put.
Feb 9, 2016
Will be making again and again and again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.