Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Filling
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in peanut butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
- Split cake in half horizontally; place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread with the peanut butter mixture. Top with remaining cake. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Stir in chocolate chips; cook and stir until chocolate is melted. Refrigerate until spreadable. Frost top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat peanut butter is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 345 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 13, 2013
This cake was good, but the peanut butter flavor wasn't strong enough for me. I think next time I'll make a peanut butter chocolate frosting and just do a vanilla cream cheese filling.
Apr 3, 2012
I use canned frosting to save time...we call it the number 11 cake...better than a ten!
Nov 2, 2011
frosting was a mess, maybe whipping it first would have helped, its just running all over the place
Feb 17, 2010
I made this for my co-workers and it was a huge hit. Everyone who tried it loved it and it was super easy to make.
Jun 11, 2009
I made this cake with a dark chocolate boxed cake mix and it was great. I think next time I will add a bit more peanut butter since I am addicted to it. It was very easy to make.
Apr 2, 2009
I am wondering about the nutritional values also. Have they been posted?
Apr 2, 2009
Feb 7, 2009
My family loves this cake, but to save time I use store-bought chocolate frosting and no one is the wiser! It is definitely at its best if made a day ahead of time.s_mitchell
Jan 18, 2009
I think this recipe failed to include a key step for making the icing: you have to whip the whipping cream icing after you take it out of the fridge. Otherwise it is all runny instead of fluffy.