Zucchini Walnut Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the zucchini, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into zucchini mixture until blended. Fold in walnuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and mix well. Frost cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 275 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 24, 2016
Delicious, not too sweet, not to dry! Even a family member that doesn't like cake or sweets ate 2 pieces of the cake then planned to eat two more pieces of the cake that when he returned home that night! Will make again!
Aug 13, 2014
Made exactly as is..using 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup of oil....a few dashes of nutmeg also......very good...tasty and did not even need frosting...cooled and sprinkled with powdered sugar.....great way to use up abundance of zucchini.....good as a breakfast or snack.
Jul 31, 2014
Absolutely delicious! The only thing I changed was replacing half the oil with applesauce and adding a couple shakes of nutmeg. Yum!!
Jul 31, 2014
oops double posted by accident
Jul 31, 2014
I was looking for recipes to use up the bushels of zucchini coming out of my garden when I found this one. It is WONDERFUL. I did tweak it a very little. I used half white sugar and half packed brown sugar and added one teaspoon of nutmeg. My husband does not like cream cheese anything so I skipped the frosting. Even without frosting it is amazing. It is a very moist cake with a texture and flavor my husband just loved. He ate about 1/4th of it already and it only came out of the oven about 6 hours ago. Will definitely be shredding zucc's up to freeze so I can make this for the family gatherings at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Sep 5, 2013
I don't rate a recipe that often! This was rate worthy! Absolutely loved it and will make again and again!! Thank You!
Sep 15, 2012
I added a little bit of cocoa to the recipe and the cake was great! My kids love it. :)
Oct 3, 2011
First time I ever heard of it ad made it .Very easy to make the taste was delicious.
Sep 16, 2011
i have made this recipe since 1997 when i lived in Montana.....which always has an abundance of zucchini!! the only thing i have added is freshly grated nutmeg.....about 5 grates and its good! living in NYC now and this flies off the table at work!!! it is in my top 10 list! in the summer i buy my zucchini and shred it in 2 cup servings in freezer bags for the wintertime.....Amazing Recipe!!!!
Aug 14, 2011
I made this cake and it was delicious, I put a small amount of dark chocolate in and coated the pan with pecan crumbs before I put the batter in the pan. This cake would freeze well if you have extra zucchini.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.