Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Coconut Frosting
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to batter alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in zucchini.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients. Spread over warm cake. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 440 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 13, 2016
I've been making this cake for many years now, and it is always a favorite. I like the cloves in it, I wouldn't have thought to add that on my own. I do increase the cocoa to 1/2 cup, for my preference, and I can't add pecans to the topping because of an allergy in the family.Love it!
Aug 9, 2016
BLAND!!! Not near enough flavor to this. Chocolate needs to double, as well as cinnamon.
Jul 28, 2014
This is a delicious cake and speaks to my love of german chocolate cake. The topping is great, but, I doubled it, as a reviewer recommended.
Aug 12, 2012
Loved the frosting; cake was not as moist and flavorful as I was hoping.
Sep 27, 2011
this cake is moist and delicious and everybody loves it. my only change would be is to double the topping recipe as it is sooo good and theres just not enough of it!!
Jul 25, 2011
Awesome moist Cake!!!! My Husband loved it since he likes German Chocolate cake!
Jul 16, 2011
very good! Everyone loved it!
Sep 25, 2010
I love this cake & the topping is great.
Aug 23, 2010
This cake was so good! It stays nice and moist because of the frosting.
Aug 2, 2010
This cake was great. It had a light chocolate flavor and you could taste the undertones of the cinnamon very well. I would definately make this one again!